Friday, September 19, 2008

Fun Stuff To Do In The Fall When You Are A Beekeeper!


Stuff to do in the fall when you are a beekeeper? The job of the beekeeper is pretty much over until March or so here in California (probably world-wide.) Although the bees do not hibernate, but remain quite active in the winter (inside the hive on bad days and cleaning it out and soaring on good days), they require little actual care. ...maybe a supplement of sugar water in February until the fruit trees bloom.
So, what do I do? I create crazy cosmetics. No boring candles for me. ...way too practical! No, I've conquered lip balm and have moved on to baby bum ointment. Full of beeswax, honey, lanolin, and OF COURSE....zinc oxide! After doing a tremendous amount of reading and testing I have settled on the perfect recipe and a lovely presentation.
Above is a pic of the label which I have applied to the top of a round cobalt blue jar. The label I designed on http://www.myownlabels.com/ . I named the bum cream after my newest grandson. The lanolin and zinc oxide powder I purchased on eBay. (OF COURSE!)
--Marty
P.S. i won't go into my miserable failure of the lotion experiment. sigh

No comments: