Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What does beekeeping have to do with blood?

I've wanted to keep bees since...forever! I can't remember when my desire for tending the little animals grew, but the MOMENT I moved to Napa, California's wine country I began pouring over catalogs and books on the subject. I did this because I finally was no longer a city girl. My husband and I had 40 acres to play with and honeybees were my first country endeavor. (BTW, since then I've learned that San Francisco has a HUGE beekeepers association. ...they do it on rooftops and balconies!

When I told my mother about the my honeybees she told me that my grandfather was a beekeeper! She has never spoken much about him and he died before I was born. Honestly, I had never heard he raised bees.

....thus, I realized beekeeping is in my blood.

Now, 8 years later, its even more in my blood. I am now part human, part bee. ...more on this later!

Marty

No comments: